The SNS/HFIR User Group (SHUG) is pleased to announce the 2019 Neutron Scattering User Meeting to be held on Tuesday and Wednesday, June 4–5, 2019, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), with topical workshops and tutorials held on Monday, June 3, and Thursday, June 6. The meeting theme is Neutron Sciences: Past, Present and Future. The meeting will highlight the research achievements of SNS and HFIR users, staff and the broader neutron scattering communities. In addition, the presentations and discussions will explore the future of neutron scattering in perspective of current and past developments.
Registration is now closed.
Plenary addresses will be given by:
- Dr. Harriet Kung, Associate Director of Science for Basic Energy Sciences,
Department of Energy
- Dr. Brent J Heuser, Professor and Associate Head for Undergraduate Programs, Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering,
- Dr. Eugenia Kharlampieva, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry,
University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Dr. Efrain Rodriquez, Associate Professor & Director of Chemistry Graduate Program, University of Maryland
- Dr. John Tranquada, Group Leader, Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory
There will be a Welcome reception at the Shull Wollan Center (building 8630) at 5:30 p.m. EDT on Monday, June 3. The purpose of this event is to provide an opportunity for neutron researchers to learn about the SWC by touring the building and participating in discussions with our research affiliates. All are welcome to attend.
Contributed poster presentations
Posters will be selected from submitted abstracts. Abstract submission is now closed. Please see the Call for Posters for details and submission information.
Award for excellence in beam line science
The SHUG Award for Excellence in Beam Line Science recognizes beam line scientists who have made significant scientific contributions in their area of research or instrumentation development, and have participated in the growth and enrichment of the user community
A list of beam line scientists at the SNS and HFIR who are eligible for the award are listed here.To nominate a beam line scientist, please go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JL5T6ZN.
The 2019 User Meeting will also feature:
- User Proposal Planning – Meet with facility staff and other researchers to discuss and plan for submission of user proposals.
- User Town Hall Meeting with the SHUG – Provide input on facility operations that affect users.
- Collaboration Talks – Learn what users and user facilities have done and can do to further science and technology.
- Best Student Poster Competition – Graduate and undergraduate students will be eligible to compete for this award. Click here for details.
- Discussion Groups – Opportunity to network, learn about new techniques, and give feedback.
- User Research Posters – Current facility users and future collaborators will have an opportunity to present results of their research. The Poster Session on Tuesday, June 4, will provide a great opportunity for graduate students and postdocs to present and discuss their research with colleagues.
- Topical Workshops – Providing deep dives into a range of topics.
- Early Career Discussion Panel – Wednesday morning discussions on careers.
Other workshops taking place at ORNL the week of June 3–7, 2019 (click on logo below for details):